The pom squad is an extremely talented group of dancers who choreograph all their own routines. They perform for pep rallies along with the cheerleaders and perform during half-time at basketball games.
The pom squad consists of 12-16 girls who receive a $400 per semester scholarship for their first year and $500 per semester scholarship for each additional year(s) as a team member. Each member is provided camp clothes, camp fees and uniforms. Pom squad members are responsible for performing during home football games and all home men's and some women's basketball games as well as fund-raising events.
The pom squad attended the University of Alabama UCA/UDA College camp in July, 2011, along with the Coed, All Girl, community college squads and mascots for all over the south. The dancers worked very hard on new material taught during camp and received an award for “Up and Coming Program” and placed 6th in the home dance competition. In 2010, the MSU Pom squad attended UDA College Nationals in Orlando, FL. for the first time in school history finishing 19th in the nation. The pom squad looks forward to competing in both hip hop and jazz competitions at the UDA College National Competition in January, 2012.
To tryout for the pom squad, participants attending the recruiting weekend should have the following:
- Proof of overall 2.0 GPA
- Proof of a current physical
- Copy of your MSU acceptance letter
- Letter of recommendation from a previous coach/sponsor
- Tryouts will consist of a fight song and dance (we will choreograph)
- Head shot photo
Requested skills include the following:
- Right and left pirouettes (triple on the right)
- Right and left leap to second (straddle leaps)
- Ring leap
- Turning disc
- Optional - no more than 2 combinations of 3 technical. Example: transitional fouettes, quad pirouettes, Kip ups, head springs, back/front walkover.
***These are the standards upon which we evaluate participants***
Attire: Black dance pants or booty shorts, fitted athletic bra top/midriff, and dance shoes of your choice