The pom squad attends UCA/UDA College camp each summer, along with the Coed, All Girl, community college squads and mascots for all over the south. The dancers work very hard on new material taught during camp. They have received an award for "Up and Coming Program" and placed 6th in the home dance competition. In 2010, the MSU Pom squad attended UDA College Nationals in Orlando, FL. for the first time in school history finishing 19th in the nation in the jazz competition. In 2012, the MSU Pom Squad made it to finals in the Hip Hop competition and finished 12th in the nation. The pom squad looks forward to competing in both hip hop and jazz competitions at the UDA College National Competitions.
Participants attending the recruiting weekend tryouts for Pom Squad should have the following:
- Completed Tryout Registration Form
- Completed Waiver & Release
- Proof of overall 2.0 GPA
- Proof of a current physical
- Letter of recommendation from a previous coach/sponsor
- Copy of your MSU letter of acceptance
- 3 copies of a head shot photo (no larger than a 5"x7")
- Jazz Technique
- Ring Leap
- Leap to Second
- Turning Disc
- Triple Pirouette
- Fouettes with double
- Optional Jazz skills - quad piroutte, combination fouettes, front walkover, etc.
- Hip Hop Technique
- Head Spring
- Kip Up
- Optional Hip Hop skills - handstand forward roll, face stand, baby freeze, rubber band, etc.
For more information, contact Melissa Nichols at 662-325-0350 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org